Shelly Turner worked in sales and marketing research for a media company for eight years and in marketing, community support and economic development for a large utility for nine years. While doing marketing to promote economic development for her employer she developed a love for helping small business owners grow their business. So after leaving her job in 2010 she began a marketing consulting business.
Small businesses – Shelly works closely with small businesses to help them identify their best customers and to help them find more customers just like those. She helps them determine how best to reach prospects, communicate with them effectively and turn them into loyal customers. By developing customized marketing plans and effective systems, she gives businesses the tools and the confidence they need to successfully carry out their own marketing activities.
Nonprofits – In her role in corporate community affairs Shelly worked with nonprofits of all sizes. She was able to observe which strategies were successful and which weren’t. She knows what donors look for in giving opportunities and what they demand for recognition. Her love of her community has led her to volunteer for several nonprofits in leadership roles including fundraising and marketing.
Economic Development Organizations – In her economic and community development role she worked closely with community and regional non-profit organizations to help them attract and grow business and jobs. She’s skilled in many of the marketing tools economic and community developers use to improve and promote their communities including First Impressions community exchanges, community surveys, LOIS (Location One Information Systems) and Synchronist Business Information System. Shelly designs custom web strategy programs for Economic Development organizations including social media, web content management, email marketing and pay-per-click advertising. These programs are tailored to reach all of the Economic Development audiences including community members, workforce, member organizations, targeted industries and site selectors.
Shelly earned her bachelor of science degree in marketing from the University of Missouri – Columbia. She is a certified Lean Six Sigma Green Belt and she studied several marketing-related courses in the University of Iowa Henry B Tippie MBA Program including branding, marketing, and entrepreneurship.
In her professional career, both as an employee and as an entrepreneur, she has gained experience in the following areas:
- eighteen years of success in advertising, marketing, community support and economic and community development
- extensive experience developing and implementing marketing strategy
- web content management
- social media planning and management
- eight plus years of grant program and community support strategy management
- conference and event planning and management
- excellent writing skills – business sales materials, search engine optimization, blogs, web content, news releases
- economic and community development and other nonprofit marketing public relations and communications
- customer service surveys
During her professional career shelly has taken various other specialized courses including the following:
- Certified Guerrilla Marketing Coaching Course, Certified Coach – May 2012
- Marketing Your Business on the Internet – University of Iowa Ed2Go – May 2011
- Creating Web Pages (HTML) – University of Iowa Ed2G0 – January 2011
- Becoming a Grant Writing Consultant – University of Iowa Ed2Go – November 2010
- A-Z Grant Writing – University of Iowa – Ed2Go – September 2010
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Training Course – 2008-2009, Certified Green Belt 2009
- Wisconsin Basic Economic Development Training Course – 2009
- IEG Sponsors Only sponsorship training – 2004
- Media Buying Academy – 2003
- Nielsen Media Research training – 1999
- Professional Selling Skills training – 1997
- Claritas Research Mapping Software and Prizm Cluster Research training – 1996